In most areas of our lives, many of us stay in a state of comfort and familiarity. It sounds so simple, but if we want something different, we have to do something differently. An outcome we’ve never had before requires doing something we’ve never done before. We just have to believe in ourselves enough to take that first step forward.
Moving beyond our comfort zone is challenging. It’s where self-doubt, questioning and limiting beliefs come to the fore as our subconscious pulls us back to the familiar. But it’s by pushing through these, holding steady and putting in the work that we grow and step into our power. If we quit when we’re in that rut of self-doubt, that’s where we’ll stay. If we push through, we’ll come out the other side. And it’s outside our comfort zone where we give ourselves the opportunity to grow and fulfil our potential.
Here are a few ideas on how to get outside it:
- Have a clear idea of what you want, but stay open to different ways of reaching it. Having a fixed idea (or thinking that we need a fixed idea) is often what holds us back from starting.
- Create a solid routine and habits to fall back on when motivation is lacking.
- Get honest with yourself about habits or ways of thinking that are holding you back.
- Become aware of your limiting beliefs.
- Upgrade your self-talk to empower and support you.
- Face fears head-on.
- Get used to sitting with difficult or negative emotions, rather than finding ways to avoid them.
- Accept help from others.
- Remember your ‘why’!